Hey People!! The E-Team has another fabulous blog hop for you today!! Daisy challenged us to pull out some of those goodies that we all have stashed away and GET CRACKIN' for the New Year.
Of course, Daisy also has some wonderful goodies for two lucky blog hoppers!! How's this:
TWO winners will receive a BOX FULL of Paper, a sampling of Distress Stickles & Rock Candy Crackle Paint!
It's easy peasy to get your name in the drawing! Just visit each of the gals listed below for some wonderful eye candy and leave a comment!! Daisy will visit each blog and winners will be chosen from all the comments.
Starla Nelson *me!
You will have all weekend, though Sunday, to visit and leave your comments on each team member's blog and Daisy will chose the winners and announce them on the eP blog on Monday, January 10th.
Today I'm sharing a an oldie, but goodie technique. Cracked glass. BUT!! With a little different spin on it!!
You can find a wonderfully written tutorial on Cracked Glass on my favorite resource site, SCS. But, I thought I'd share my twist on today. Disclaimer (you knew that was coming, right? The author (aka ME) takes no responsibility for the blurry pictures of the following abbreviated tutorial. It would seem that SOMEONE was more interested in doing the actual project than worrying about how the photos might look!!)
I began with a piece of transparency (I used Office Depot's Write On Transparency) and covered it with Versamark ink. You could also use embossing ink....this is just what I had on hand. Cover with Ultra Thick Embossing Powder.
Carefully melt the UTEE with your heat gun. I kept my heat gun close enough to melt the powder, but not too close as to melt the transparency. Repeat the above steps 3-5 times (I believe I actually repeated 4 times). Your transparency now has a thick coating on it. ETA: I had a comment stating that the transparency would curl when heating. Yes, it does a bit, especially the first layer. But, for me, the added layers of UTEE provided a coating and made the transparency thicker and decreased the curling.
Then stick the coated transparency in your freezer for 3-5 minutes. Don't panic if the transparency "curls". Trust me that it WILL flatten out again!!
Immediately after removing the transparency from the freezer, carefully place it in Tim Holtz's Cracked embossing folder and run it through your Big Shot or Cuttlebug or what ever die cutting machine you use. Don't worry about any cracking that happens to the frozen transparency while trying to put it in the folder. It will just add to the cracked look. The result is a clear cracked window!!
How about a close up of that cracked "window"?!
Just ignore that glare off that "glass", haha
You would not have to run the transparency through the embossing folder if you didn't have it. You could carefully crack the frozen UTEE with your hands. But those "cracks" will tend to be finer cracks and I was wanting a more dramatic look......as if the winged heart had broken the glass.
Now for the details on the rest of the project. I started with Wendy Vecchi's Art Parts rectangle frames and randomly applied acrylic paint in black and "maple syrup" brown. I did this in a more haphazard fashion, not smooth lines. After a couple of minutes of letting the paint dry, I stamped the smaller of Tim's Fabulous Flourishes with Versamark ink onto the frame and sprinkled Ranger's clear embossing powder over it and heated with my heat gun. Hindsight: I should have stamped in black and embossed in black so that the flourishes would show up more!
I then used my rinsed out paint brush (bristles still wet) to apply a light wash randomly over the embossed frame with "butter pecan" (tan) acrylic paint. I immediately wiped off areas with a wet paper towel, so it wasn't so bold.
The heart and wings were a discarded element for another project. I do know that they were cut using Tim's Winged Heart Alterations die. The required (haha) metal piece is TenSecond Studios Spiced Rum that was die cut then embossed with Tim's Patchwork embossing folder and lightly sanded. The heart was attached to the frame with a double layer of dimensionals under the wings.
The sentiment, from Tim's Just Thoughts stamp set, was stamped with SU's white craft ink and embossed with Ranger's Clear embossing powder. I added the Locket and Key with Claudine's Multi Matte Medium.
Have I mentioned that the Multi Matte Medium is becoming my favorite go to glue? OH MY. It takes a bit to dry, but when it does, NOTHING is going to move. Just sayin'.
I used my cropadile to punch a hole for the hitch fastener and wrapped some craft wire around it to hold the key.
The two panels were connected to each other with strips of grunge paper that have some Distress Vintage embossing powder and Distress Vintage ink and Black Soot ink rubbed onto it. I used a stapler to attached them to the back of the panels.
And the final project once again
I love the sentiment on this project!! I think I'll clear a space off my work area so that it can be a visual reminder to me to LEAP.
I hope you pull out some of those forgotten supplies and get CRACKIN' on some of these techniques the
E-Team has shared today!!
'Till then....................remember to LEAP into some creativity!!