Friday, February 6, 2009

Making Cupcakes

WHEW!! Today I decided to use the Limited supplies challenge on Splitcoaststampers to get me going on a birthday card that I need for a 7 y/o girls party tomorrow. While I was at it, I thought that I would try and use the sketch challenge for this week too. SHEESH!! I need to do the challenges more often. This card took me FOREVAH!!! (and even tho it has some "AH-HA" moments on it....I consider it only ok....just doesn't have that "wow" punch that I was wanting. But! I have to remember that it is for a 7 y/o girl and will most likely end up in a drawer (or~gasp! The trash can!)

I had borrowed the Quikutz cupcake die from my wonderful friend (and have one on order now) as the girl's party is a "cupcake" party theme (going to decorate cupcakes....and such). I used my cuttlebug swirl embossing folder for the frosting then traced around the swirls with Liquid Applique (one of my "AH-Ha" moments). The other "AH-HA" moment is the candle. Yup!! That is a real candle there!! I tried to color it to match the pink but that didnt' work. I shaved off the back to flatten it and used Art Glitter designer adhesive to put it on. Now, the cupcake is one some major thick dimensionals that I have had in my stash for years!! Here is a side view, but it still does not show the dimension as seen in person
I kinda messed up when trying to stamp the "happy birthday. Uhhh, next time, I'll stamp the sentiment BEFORE having the cupcake adhered!! (DUH!!) Like I said...this one is so-so for me. Like the "AH-HA" moments, not real keen on the whole layout/color scheme. But, overall, ok (so much for that "Dirty Girl" inspiration roll that I was on....back to being a "normal" stamper! haha)Supplies used: Paper: SU Regal Rose, Close to Cocoa, retired SU DP, whisper white and chocolate chip. Stamps: Voila- Happy Birthday(SU) Accessories: Liquid Applique, Cuttlebug swirl embossing folder, candle, thick dimensionals, ticket corner punch, sponge daubers, heat gun, Quikutz cupcake die, Sizzix Big Shot
Thanks for looking!! It is pouring rain here so I guess the house is going to get cleaned!!

2 comments:

Stef H said...

Well no wonder it was hard & took so long..... look how gorgeous it turned out! That's certainly no quickie card! You go, girl!

Jamie Martin said...

This is super cute, love what you did with the challenge!