Monday, November 11, 2013

Gelli Prints and Metal Roses

I had a very creative weekend as it seemed everyone and my mother in law celebrated birthdays!!

Okay.  That is a slight exaggeration, but I cranked out 3 cards in one weekend.  And if you have visited this blog much in the past, you know that makes up more creativity than I usually manage in a month!!

I, of course, will only share one card today!! I am going to take advantage of having a "stash" of work to share over the next week or so!! hehe

While I was on the creative endeavor to make my father in law a birthday card a couple of weeks ago, (the card that actually came to be can be seen here ) I actually started out with the idea for a Gelli Print on the sticky side of a self laminating sheet.

Allow me to digress.  Making Gelli Prints on packing tape or the sticky side of a self laminating sheet is probably one of my most favorite Gelli Print techniques.  While I love the "unknown" outcomes with the more traditional methods of making monoprints with the Gelli Plate, I really, really REALLY like the process of planning out what what direction my print will take.

I might have a little issue with control.  Or just letting my art F....L...O....W....

ANYHOOS!!  I made this wonderful turquoise and copper print a couple of weeks ago and for the life of me, could NOT figure out how "finish" the card without taking away from the print.

Sometimes, walking away is the best way to complete a creative project.

So, I started with the background.......



Gelli print made with some turquoise and brown acrylic paint (stash) brayered over the TCW's Mini Gears stencil. Copper Pearl Ex was then applied on the "clear" area of the print. 

And rediscovered my love of working with metal.......







Roses were die cut from Ten Second Studios Dark Chocolate Metal with Spellbinders/Donna Salazar's Rose Creation dies.  The leaves are from Spellbinder's Foliage and the flourish is an old Sizzix die.   

Finished with  a little extra wire and bling ! Who needs a sentiment?! Not this card!!

I will admit that this card ended up being more than what I had envisioned.  But I thoroughly enjoyed working with the metal sheets again and have vowed to pull out that medium more often in the future!!

'Till next time..............


4 comments:

Stef H said...

good for you on starting a STASH!!!! you won't be sorry - trust me on that. and 3 cards this weekend? yep. that's another feat for you because to me you are known as the "last minute", "i'm in a crunch", "i need it now" kinda girl - LOL.

andddddddddddd.... this is absolutely, to-die-for gorgeous. you should have a tv show! sheesh, this all scares me. i mean really scares me. i don't even dip into my twinkling H2O's because painting scares me but you??? holy crap! you are truly an artist! yep. you should have tv show!

hugs :)

Gail Dixon said...

You are so dadgum creative, Starla! And way too hard on yourself. But I do the same thing with photography, especially editing. I have found that taking a break and returning to the photo does wonders. This is such a colorful and unique piece. I love the industrial elements paired with the metal roses. Brilliant!

Sylvia said...

Card is lovely, Starla, were the metal roses heavy? The made for a beautiful card! Have a wonderful Wednesday!

Micki said...

This is absolutely beautiful!!!! BEAUTIFUL>