Monday, June 6, 2011

Graduation at the Movies

Well, after a week of my computer working without a hiccup, the dang thing is trying to give me heart failure by not wanting to connect again today!  BUT!! HAHA!  I fooled it!!  I just disconnected the thing and waited (somewhat) patiently for a bit and WAHLA!! it is working again!

But as I am not one to test fate, I am going to try and quickly post the last of the graduation cards that I made.  This one is my favorite.  It is TOTALLY nontraditional.  And, if I say so myself, perfect for the young lady for whom it was made.

J just so happens to be the daughter of my work out buddy (when our crazy schedules allow it, that is!).  For the Junior/Senior banquet, the Juniors hosted a Masquerade Ball on the Queen Mary.  In discussing the banquet, J happened to mention that the theme made her want to watch the Phantom of the Opera movie again.  So one evening, all of us "girls" got together and watched the movie.  And I discovered that the glamour of the old movies is not lost on today's youth.  J LOVES old movies. You know, the GOOD ones....starring Audrey Hepburn, Clark Gable, Lauren Bacall, Humphry Bogart.....

ANYWHOOS!!  I decided to make a card that brought out the glamour of the old movies.



(I seriously LOVE how this turned out!)

No stamping on this.  I used Graphic 45's Curtain Call as the focus for all the elements on this card.   Card base is  5 1/2" square piece of Vanilla Pure Luxury.  Graphic 45 Curtain Call Let's Dance and Leading Ladies was used for my background.  I then used my Classic Circle Nestabilities to cut the main images from Curtain Call and The Cinema from the same Curtain Call line.  The main images were mounted on SU's Real Red.  The year was die cut from Cuttlebug's Olivia from Real Red and adhered with Sakura's Quickie Glue Pen.

Probably my favorite element (besides the wonderful paper that is!) is the Film strip ribbon that was wound around and twisted among the main images.  I used Glossy Accents to hold it in place. 

Of course, I forgot to take a picture of the inside.  I used a strip of the fine polka dot paper along the bottom and then typed the sentiment on more vanilla card stock and mounted on Real Red.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds
that never were.
But without it, we go
No Where
Carl Sagan

Did I mention how much I like this untraditional graduation card?!  It's a style that I wouldn't make for everyone.  But I just knew that J would love it (and she did!!)

I'll be back (computer willing) in a day or so with the Thank You cards that I'm in the process of making for the Oldest Kiddo to send out.

'Till then..................try something untraditional in your creativity this week!!

3 comments:

Gail Dixon said...

So glamorous! Love your creativity!

Melody (lacyquilter) said...

Awesome card, Starla.

Sylvia said...

Gorgeous card, Starla! Somone is getting a beautiful card.