Sunday, May 10, 2009

Framed on Mother's Day

DH requested a card for his mother that was CAS (clean and simple). He also wanted a card that mimicked some framed photos that my mother-in-law has on her wall behind her couch. There are nine b/w (actually, they kind of lean towards sepia) photos of leaves, flowers, tree branches artsy type photos framed in black. My MIL changes the matting with the seasons. For spring/summer she uses a sage green color.

I had a general idea of what I wanted to do. Then, while cruising blogs, I came upon this wonderful creation by Tracy. Which led me to this wonderful creation by Linda. Using the recessed window was just what I needed for my take on this technique.

I think that my inside framing corners are pulled apart some because I taped down my frame to make it look as though it was on the "sage" wall. This card has a 5x 5 sage base that uses the DTP (direct to paper) technique with the sage ink pad to give it some "texture". I made my frame using the directions from SCS TLC206. The outside frame corners were scored so that I could fold them up in order to tape the edges to the base. I used the leaf stamp from Rubbernecker's Floral Silhouette and stamped it first in the middle, masked the top portion and stamped it again further down in the corner to extend my leaf (yes, I misjudged a hair and have my "new" leaves a tad too far apart from the original). Using my stampamajig, I figured out my placement for the other "stamped" off leaves. Supplies: Stamps: Rubbernecker Floral Silhouette, Inside stamp: SU's All Holiday's Happy Mother's Day. Paper: SU's sage shadow, basic black, whisper white. Ink: Ranger archival jet black. Accessories: Stampamajig, craft knife.

Best part of this card? DH said "It's perfect. I REALLY like it!"

Thanks for stopping by!! I hope all of you have a wonderful Mother's day!

3 comments:

Stef H said...

Gorgeous. He knows a beauty when he sees one. Just gorgeous!

Hugs,

Carolyn King said...

ohhh that is stunning!!!! Great job!!!

dawnmercedes said...

Now that's new...changing the mat with the seaons. I change my curtains or bed linens. Couches get pillows at different times of the year. But I never thought to mix it up in my frames. Oh wait..I don't hang stuff on my walls! haha.

Great card, btw.