Thursday, November 26, 2009

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Happy Thanksgiving to you all!! If you are traveling, I hope you have a safe (and non-eventful) trip.

For all of the men and women who are serving our country to ensure our basic FREEDOMS
THANK YOU!!

I'm very lucky in that my mother in law does all the work for this day of feasting.  The only thing that I'm requested to bring EVERY year is the following recipe for the cranberry salad.  All of the family LOVES this!!  It is very easy to make (my type of "cooking").  This would also make a wonderful summer treat~~just buy some extra bags of cranberries, freeze and enjoy in the summer time.

Cranberry Salad (originally found in some little book called The Little Book of Christmas Joys)

Yield:  16-20 servings

1 pound cranberries
4 oranges, one unpeeled
1 15-oz can crushed pineapple, drained, reserving the juice
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup orange juice
3 envelopes of unflavored gelatin
1/2 pound pecans (optional....my family is nuts, but doesn't like the nuts!)

Wash and sort the berries.  Peel all but one orange and cut up all of the oranges.  In a food grinder or food processor grind the cranberries and oranges.  Add the drained pineapple, reserving the juice.  Stir in the sugar and mix well.  In a small saucepan combine the reserved pineapple juice and orange juice.  Sprinkle the gelatin on top and stir.  Heat until the gelatin is completely dissolved.  Add the gelatin to the fruit mixture.  Pour into a pretty bowl that will hold  about 3-quarts (the recipe calls for pouring into a greased 3 quart mold, like a Bundt pan....I tried one year to do that....the "Erma" in me couldn't get it out of the pan all nice and pretty, so now I just make it in a pretty glass bowl and we serve from there!!)

I'm off to try and make a Pumpkin Flan recipe.  Pumpkin pie is not the favorite dessert offered on the table,  so I always take the opportunity to experiment with a new pumpkin dessert!!  I figure if it doesn't turn out, there are lots of other desserts to eat and we can pitch the experiment!!

Again~~Happy Thanksgiving to you all!!  And THANK YOU for dropping by and visiting my little corner here in cyberland!

No comments: