Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Lots of Colors and Swirly Things

Hey People!! I hope you are having a great evening! Yes, I'm writing this rather late in the evening.  That would be how life is around here!! 

This afternoon, when I picked up the Kiddos, the youngest told me that it was Mrs. B's birthday today and he had to finish the card he was making her.  He said he told her he would give her "her present tomorrow, for sure, because he didn't have time to finish it today". He described to me that it was taking forever because he was writing "Happy Birthday" in block letters across the entire card.  He then proceeded to pull out the card from his backpack.  And the "OH NO!!!" was one with much dismay! It would seem that the Kiddo, not only shoved the card into his backpack (thus crumpling the card), but he also shoved his LEAKING water bottle on top of it. 

After finishing his homework, he came into my office/craft area and said he needed to make a new card.  I figured he would want to just make the same version, just round two.  NOPE.  He thought that he might like to stamp.  Ok.  What kind of stamp did he have in mind?  Did he want to color?  Did he want flowers?  After a few minutes of pondering, he came up with "I don't want to color, but I want a lot of color and swirls and stuff".  Oooookkkkkaaaayyyy. 

So, I did what any wise mother does when put in that situation.  I pulled up SCS's resource  page and started looking at possibilities!!  And one of the first to jump out at me was the Alcohol Ink Faux Bleach technique that my friend Sherry wrote up.  My kiddo has played around with my alcohol inks before and liked them.  He was very excited when he saw Sherry's example and thought that would be perfect. 

He chose which "swirly" stamp he wanted to use and stamped it with Versamark ink and sprinkled clear embossing powder over it. Then concentrated very hard on melting the embossing powder


Then he chose which inks he wanted to use.  We had to have a sample of different ink colors and then he chose which ones he wanted to use.  I caught myself in time from suggesting a "color" scheme.  I believe his final choices were: Stream, Raisin, Wild Plum and Butterscotch. 




I then placed a scrap piece of computer paper over the inked image and melted off the embossing powder with my iron.  We tried several different die cuts on the front to place his sentiment, but he didn't like the fact that they all covered up his "swirls".  He started looking at my punches and pulled out SU's Designer Label.  He hand wrote the sentiment with SU's Elegant Eggplant marker and sponged the label edges with Distress Dusty Concord.  I suggested maybe some type of "bling" beneath the sentiment and pulled out some glittery brads and itty bitty self adhesive pearls.  He went with the pearls and colored them with the same alcohol ink colors he used on the background.  I then asked if he wanted a ribbon under the label.  After looking at it, he decided yes ('cause it didn't cover too much of his swirls).  Then he decided to add a bow.  After much frustration on my part to tie a decent bow with "legs", he said that the "fake" bow I showed him first, would be fine.  Gotta luv that kid!! "Fake" bow made and topped with another self adhesive 1/2 pearl. 

The results:



*Have to share.  While adding my "watermark" to this photo, the kiddo says "uhhh, where is "Card by C?!!" 

During this entire process of making this card, the Kiddo kept asking if I thought Mrs. B would like it, because she wasn't expecting something like this.  

I don't think she is going to like it.  I think she is going to LOVE it. 
 Supplies:  Paper:  Gina K's Pure Luxury, SU glossy paper.  Inks:  Ranger Alcohol Inks, SU Elegant Eggplant marker, Distress Dusty Concord, Versamark. Stamps:  Tattered Angels "Regal".  Accessories:  Clear embossing powder, 1/2 back pearls (from my stash), black ribbon, Designer Label punch

Thanks for dropping by again!!  Remember~your creativity can be the inspiration for someone else!!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Mrs. B will love it... I know I do ;) You did a beautiful job on your card. Keep up the GREAT work. Linda Duke

Melody (lacyquilter) said...

Great card. So beautiful with the contrast of white with the vibrant colors. Your teacher will love it.

Trisha said...

Oh my goodness!!! What an amazing card. Your teacher is going to LOVE LOVE LOVE your card.
My birthday is in April...I'll be waiting patiently...
Trisha

Linda Ledbetter said...

WOW! That's absolutely gorgeous! You bet Mrs. B is going to love it-- anyone would! Those colors are amazing.

Starla, I think it's safe to say that you have another artist in the family. This guy is GOOD!!!

Glenda said...

I think this one son is going to be an artist! He has some very definite ideas and knows what he wants. Has a good eye for color and not afraid to jump in with both feet! You gotta love that!

Broni said...

Oh my goodness! I think this little man is just as talented as his Mom!! I love that card and I bet his teacher will too! Thanks for showing us the process, Starla!! Hey, Kiddo, you really have some talent!!

Sherry Cheever said...

C this is so awesome and I bet your teacher loved it. I for one love your color choices and the flourish is an excellent background.

Amber (bambi64) said...

What an awesome card. Bet your teacher loves it.

Daisy said...

Love those bright colors and stamp you used. She will love the card and all the art & heart that went into it.

Sylvia said...

You defintiely are fostering creativity in your hyhouse! Love his card and so will his teacher! Good job! and it is nice to remember others.

dawnmercedes said...

ooh, that is gorgeous! now, I hope the class was super ontask and quiet for her bday too! haha Keep posting those creations!

Auntie Em said...

CUTE!!!! Hope she appreciated it!!!
:o)

Micki said...

Wow that card is amazing. I love the color. Wonderful job!!!!! I can only imagine another couple of years and the fab cards that will be created then :-)

hugs