Saturday, July 17, 2010

Dare to Get Dirty

Happy Saturday Peoples!!  This weekend is the Dare To Get Dirty on SCS.  This is a special challenge for Fan Club members to join the Dirty Dozen (past and present) in  some special challenges to show how we mere wanna be's would get in the dirt!!

I glanced at the challenges this morning before I went for a walk.  Somewhere along the way,  Mojo must have decided that it was WAAAAY too hot to be a runaway and decided to come home.  So, I tackled Kittie's Lost and Found Challenge first(Warning:  details of the challenge will be somewhat vague as you have to be a Fan Club member to participate.  Trust me, it is well worth the $$ per year!!!)




I started with this glass soap dispenser that I have had tucked into a corner for probably 10 years (I vaguely remember that this was suppose to be a alterable craft at a MOPS (mother's of preschoolers) group but I think my MoJo had taken a hike that week also (what is with my MoJo anyways?!!  Always deciding to leave me high and dry at the most inconvenient moments?!!).  I added some alcohol inks in Meadow, Rust, Stream and Copper to the entire bottle.


Then I decided to put into action TenSeconds Studios "Drab to Fab" challenge and add some metal.  I had some small squares of copper metal from a starter pack that I got at CHA in January.  I pulled out my
Spellbinders Daisy Heads dies and went to work cutting out and embossing the different sized daisies.  I then increased the depth of embossing by leaving the metal in the die and using a paper stump and refiner to define the edges a bit more.  I then place all the dies on a piece of Humungo Killer tape.  Hint:  it may prove much easier to go ahead and place the tape on the metal before die cutting.  Let's just say that cutting that EXTREMELY sticky tape was a JOB!!   I got smart with the leaves after an hour of tedious cutting of the daisy head and cleaning of my snips!!  I removed all the liner off the flowers and leaves and placed them randomly on the bottle.   Results?  Definitely FAB!! hehe


                                 


I found the quote online and printed it out on glossy card stock.  I then used the same colors of alcohol inks that were used on the bottle and went over the sentiment area.  The tag was cut using Spellbinders Labels Eleven.  I uses my cropadile to place a copper eyelet and threaded some copper cording and black ribbon to attach the tag. 

Here are a couple of other views of the finished project (not the best quality, but I was having a devil of a time getting a decent picture without glare due to the glass!!)        
                                                
                                             

And a close up that shows the embossing detail  a tad better



I have envisioned the copper turning a lovely patina as it sits on the counter, blending in with the inked glass.  We'll see! LOL!!

Well, I'm hoping that MoJo decides to stick around a bit more today.  I need to take a break and clean up this mess and tackle the kitchen mess, but I have a couple more ideas starting to form in my noggin!!

Thanks for dropping by today!! Remember to include some type of creativity in your day!!

4 comments:

Kittie said...

Wow, Starla! This is gorgeous. I love the colors and the copper flowers are wonderful.

Sally Atkins said...

Fab is definitely the word to dscribe this piece of gorgeous art. I love the copper daisies. This would look amazing on a window sill.

kaiandkristi said...

LOVE this one!! SO completely different!!

Daisy said...

It is oh so pretty! Love your project result.