Wednesday, September 18, 2013


WhootHoo!!  Welcome to eclectic Paperie's Belated Birthday Bash!  Today we're celebrating the (belated) one year anniversary of the store's new ownership! It's been an amazing year, full of inspiring projects, wonderful classes, and many, many new products!!  eclectic Paperie wouldn't be where it is today without the ongoing support of our customers and as a BIG thank you, you'll have an opportunity to lots of great prizes!  You have until midnight, tomorrow(9/20), to comment for your chance to win the following prizes!!!

 A full set of Tim's NEW Distress Paints
6x6 Paper Pad Bundle
Dylusions Stencil Bundle
A set of NEW Wendy Vecchi Archival Inks
Crafter's Workshop Stencil Bundle

 To be entered into the prize drawing, please be sure to comment on the eclectic Paperie blog and on each of the eTeam blogs.  Check out all of the thumbnail links below to view the rest of the eTeam projects!  Enjoy the hop!

I was very excited to be asked by Kim to help eP celebrate it's first year under new ownership!  When Kim started this new journey of ownership, her goals included  offering lots of new products, ideas and inspiration. I have personally been inspired by the current eTeam members and have enjoyed watching them explore new ideas and mediums in their own creative journeys.  It was with that thought in mind that I decided to try a new technique (for me!) in using the Gelli Plate with clear adhesive (in my case, the sticky side to self laminating sheets).

First things first; getting out all the possible supplies that I thought I might use to make my mono prints.  *Note: originally I had thought I would use Distress Paints for this technique.  It just wasn't the look I was going for. While not pictured, I ended up using Claudine Hellmuth's wonderful paints instead.

Supplies:  6x6 Gelli Printing Plate (HIGHLY recommend the 8x10 one.  That will be on my next shopping spree!!), various stencils, masks cut from dies, embossed papers, Paints (see above note) brayer, non-stick craft sheet

Next; lay out masks in various spots on the Gelli Plate.  You will note that this layout is not the actually one I used for my final project.  It took several prints before I came up with the look I wanted!

The next steps are lacking photographic representation.  It would seem that somebody (ahem!) got caught up in the making of prints that she forgot to take pictures of the steps!  OOOPS!! Basically, I placed my masks on the Gelli Plate. Using the brayer, I applied a combination of Claudine's Dab of Yellow and Dash of Red paints onto the Plate and over the masks.  Carefully removing the masks, I then added some stenciling (TCW's Susana'a Arrows and Mini Ledger) and free hand elements, using the end of a paint brush, an old hair pick and a marker cap.  Remember, for this particular technique, what you see on the plate is what you will transfer to your clear adhesive. You also want to keep some areas free of paint.

HELPFUL TIP:  it is important to let the paint dry between layers to avoid making a muddy paint mess!

AFTER THE PAINT HAS DRIED *VERY IMPORTANT*, apply your clear adhesive to the plate.  I used the sticky side of self laminating sheets for my project.  You could also use clear packing tape. Burnish the adhesive onto the plate using a scraper or a bone folder.  Then, carefully, remove the adhesive from the plate.  If you find an spot of paint that didn't stick to the adhesive, roll back the tape and use your fingers or scraper to burnish that spot again, so that the paint sticks.  

After you have removed your tape from the plate, you have several options for the clear areas.  You could apply some printed tissue paper, dictionary pages, fine glitter, foils, or as I did, some Pearl Ex powder. I chose to use some bronze. I sprinkled the powders on the sticky side and used a "glitter" brush to evenly spread the Pearl Ex evenly onto the surface.  

WAH-LAH!! You now have a wonderful piece with shine and texture to add to a project!  

Originally I thought I would use my piece to make a birthday card (as this is a birthday celebration!) but instead, I went a different path.  I dug out a 6x6 chipboard cover (from my stash) and randomly applied a fairly dry brush layer of Claudine's Charcoal Black  paint.  

Using an adhesive spray I adhered my focal image to the center.  Pulled out some old idea-ology Alpha Parts and added them to the image.

Final project is still to be determined.  I am debating on using this as a cover to a small 6x6 mixed media journal (in which case I will decided on whether to use my Bind It All, Jump Rings or some other binding mechanism to put it all together) OR I will leave this as a little art piece for my desk.  

I wish I could have captured the lovely shiny sheen this has!  The Pearl Ex adds a wonderful metallic glimmer and the shiny surface of the laminating sheet give this another depth that catches the eye!!

Congratulations Kim for your first birthday at eP's helm!!  Here is wishing you many, many more creative years!